Intact nature and environment are our greatest asset, which must be protected
We have committed ourselves into many environmental friendly projects. "Promotion of organic beekeeping among the indigenous population of Maya and maintenance of biodiversity in Mexico" is one of them. This project focuses on the Yucatàn Peninsula, which is an important honey sourcing region for our high quality nectaflor honey.
Since 2016, the project has been implemented in cooperation with EDUCE, a cooperative that has been established in Mexico for many years, with the following objectives:
- Promotion of organic beekeeping among young beekeepers in Mayan communities (Mayas are the indigenous population of the Yucatán)
- Integrating and consolidating young people's roots in their community and promoting a culture of partnership
- Secure livelihood through employment and regular income
- Combating rural exodus among young people
- Preservation of the centuries-old ecosystem of the fragile and unique landscape of the Yucatàn Peninsula
Eudcating the young Mayas
With the primary objective of providing the young Mayans with the knowledge of beekeping according to organic standards and to strengthen the cooperative spirit of EDUCE, introductory workshops and courses are arranged at various locations on the Yucatàn Peninsula.
Personal guidance and technical support
Here's what the young Mayan up-and-coming beekeepers had to say about the EDUCE project
- Beekeeping has interested me since childhood, but I never had the opportunity to learn anything about it, now I can do it.
- Meaningful work that does not harm the environment.
- I can feed myself and my family from beekeeping.
- We're learning to keep bees in a way that keeps them healthy.
- I would like to define my future through beekeeping, become part of an important organisation thanks to the project and share knowledge with others.
- I want to preserve the forests.
- I can continue a traditional activity.